We came across this great Brain-boosting Purple Porridge recipe from fab SA mom blogger, Baby Jake’s Mom, AKA Dani Silbermann.
She’s been creating some delicious and healthy recipes for her little guy, and we just thought this one was the bees knees. It turns breakfast into an irresistible colourful bowl of goodness. And best of all, it super quick to make, so thanks Baby Jakes Mom from all of us MMP mammas!
Good old fashioned Jungle Oats, not instant ones
Yoghurt (individual tubs of double cream plain)
Optional for additional goodness – 1 teaspoon Ground Flaxseeds (see note below)
What to do:
- In a small saucepan cook 3 heaped TBS of oats.
- Slice and throw in a banana, a handful of frozen blueberries, and cover with a little water.
- Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes till the oats swell, and the blueberries burst.
- While it is cooking grind the almonds in a pestle and mortar. You can also just throw them in whole when you puree/blend the mixture, but depending on the strength of your blender’s motor, it may leave some chunky pieces of nuts.
- Stir in some yoghurt and feed your happy baby this nutritious homemade baby porridge.
This takes all of 5 -10 minutes to prepare in total.
Tip: Because the ingredients are all cooked, you can store this in the fridge over 2 (maybe 3) days. Add the yogurt from fresh each time (The oats will congeal quite a bit once cooled, but give it a good stir, heat it up a tad (microwave), stir in the yogurt and you’re sorted).
Baby Jake’s mom adds flaxseeds. They need to be ground to get the goodness from them and no more than 1 teaspoon. Be careful as too much as they can cause cramps, use in moderation.
If you thought this was yummy, check out our Souped-up Spinach and Feta Muffins recipe!
Like what you’ve just read? Awesomeness, feel free to share it with your friends. You can also join us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Do it. It’ll be like getting a big bear hug of loveliness, only the cyber kind…
Baby Jake’s Mom: The Mommy Product Hunter & Baby Trend Spotter
Just a trending Mommy-in-the-Know, on a mission to dress my son in ridiculously cute hipster clothes while simultaneously trying to raise a decent human. I have a stuff crush! I love knowing stuff, having stuff and sharing stuff. So if you hang out here, you’ll learn all about must-have-mommy-stuff. You too can be a Mommy-in-the-Know. From the functional to the indulgent, you’ll find it here – along with my practical advice, yummy recipes and momspiration all strung together in an authentic voice. So join me as I navigate motherhood, one cute outfit at a time. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.